From world-renowned attractions to the wonders of the world, your greatest fantasies to adventures you couldn’t even dream of, here are 101 incredible bucket list ideas.
Augustine of Hippo once said, “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page”, and we couldn’t agree more.
The endless and enduring bounty that travel reaps is unparalleled. Whether you are experiencing a one-in-a-lifetime moment, discovering ancient worlds or standing witness to natural beauty at its best, travel offers the opportunity to make memories like no other.
If you are in experiencing a casual dose of wanderlust, we suggest you take a look at these 101 incredible bucket list ideas, all of which are bound to have you planning your next adventure.
101. Go stargazing – the one for all ages
Stargazing is a simple but oh so special activity that makes it bucket list-worthy, no doubt. And, it can be easily achieved once away from the hum of city lights!
100. Take surfing lessons – for the Aussie way of life
Surfing is an epic sport affiliated largely with the Aussie way of life. We suggest you take your first lesson on Bondi Beach in Australia if you want to create a more than memorable moment!
99. Ride in a horse-drawn carriage through Central Park – for the romantics
If you’re craving something romantic, add this New York moment to your bucket list ideas. Want to make the experience even more majestic? Catch this ride during winter, when freshly fallen snow will act as your backdrop.
Address: New York, NY, United States
98. Learn a snowsport in the Alps – for snow-seekers
The Alps is accredited as one of the preeminent destinations for snow sports in the world. The vast mountain range spans eight countries including Italy, Liechtenstein, France, Monaco, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and Slovenia; and it offers some of the best slopes to master the skill.
97. Sleep under the stars in the desert – for the ultimate African experience
This is one of those bucket list ideas which can be achieved almost anywhere. If you’re looking to raise the bar, however, we suggest the Lion Sands Game Reserve in South Africa.
96. Live as a beach bum in California – for beach bums
California has been forever iconized as the ultimate paradise for beach. Care to let your hair down and soak up the sun? Try an extended stay on Venice Beach for the ultimate experience.
95. Go on an impromptu trip without any planning – for the spontaneous
Simply, pack a bag; get in the car; head to the airport and go. The world is truly ripe for the picking whether you’re travelling solo or with a group.
94. Drive from east coast to west coast of America – for route 66
Although the highway route 66 does not span the entire distance from east to west, it will get you a good portion of the way, with tons to see along the route making this one of the best bucket list ideas.
93. Visit the White House – to see the US President’s residence
Located in Washington, D.C., this is the formal residence of the President of the United States.
Address: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500, United States
92. Picnic under the Eiffel Tower – for the ultimate Parisian experience
What trip to Paris would be complete without a picnic in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower? Wine, cheese and baguette are essential.
Address: Champ de Mars, 5 Avenue Anatole France, 75007 Paris, France
91. Walk on the Hollywood Walk of Fame – for Hollywood icons
When in Hollywood, make sure not to miss this iconic stretch of street featuring the top names in the entertainment business!
Address: Hollywood Boulevard, Vine St, Los Angeles, CA 90028, United States
90. Dance all-night in Ibiza – for the disco-kids
Whether you’re a young disco-kid or trying to sow some wild oats, the answer is always an all-nighter in Ibiza.
89. Eat Pizza in Naples – for the love of pizza
If a pilgrimage to the birthplace of pizza is not bucket list-worthy, we simply don’t know what is.
88. Visit Times Square – for the fanfare
If you want to be overwhelmed in the sheer amazement of excessive crowds and flashing billboards, look no further than Times Square in New York City.
Address: Manhattan, NY 10036, United States
87. Experience St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland – for Irish patriotism
No matter your background, everyone can enjoy the fun and frivolity of St. Patrick’s Day celebrations on the 17th of March each year.
86. Visit a Turkish bath – for ancient wellness
Turkish Baths (also known as Hammans) are most popular in Istanbul and offer guests an opportunity to explore ancient wellness and rejuvenation.
85. Visit the top ten galleries of the world – for art lovers
These include the Smithsonian and The Metropolitan Museum of Art (USA), Le Louvre (France), The Acropolis Museum (Greece), State Hermitage (Russia), The British Museum (UK), The Prado (Spain), The Vatican Museums and The Uffizi Gallery (Italy), and the Rijksmuseum (the Netherlands).
84. Discover Stone Henge – the English prehistoric monument
Construction of Stone Henge began in 3000 BC, and today this is one of the best-known prehistoric monuments in Europe.
Address: Salisbury SP4 7DE
83. Take a gondola in Venice – for a tour by water
No visit to Venice would be complete without a trip through the ancient waterways by gondola.
82. Wander the canals of Amsterdam – the best way to see the city
Amsterdam has an impressive network of canals offers some of the best cafes, shops and galleries, all by the water’s edge.
81. Take a wander around the Leaning Tower of Pisa – for the ultimate tourist photo
While we’ve all seen photos of tourists trying to “hold up” the Leaning Tower of Pisa, we must admit we’d love to have one of ourselves.
Address: Piazza del Duomo, 56126 Pisa PI, Italy
80. Visit Notre Dame Cathedral – for French Gothic architecture
This is French Gothic architecture at its finest. Most-certainly not to be missed!
Address: 6 Parvis Notre-Dame – Pl. Jean-Paul II, 75004 Paris, France
79. Attend the Olympics – for sports enthusiasts
If you’re a sports enthusiast, there will be no better thrill than experiencing the Olympics first-hand.
78. Cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge – for exercise and experience
Cycling across the epic Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is bound to make for an experience to remember.
Address: Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA, United States
77. Watch a sunrise at Uluru in Australia – the sight for sore eyes
This is bound to be one of the moments in your life you’ll always remember. Don’t forget the camera.
76. Travel to all seven continents – for the ultimate globe trotter
These include Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.
74. Ride the world’s tallest roller coaster – for thrill-seekers
The roller coaster which holds the title is Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey.
Address: 1 Six Flags Blvd, Jackson Township, NJ 08527, United States
73. Sleep in the most ancient rainforest – for an ancient experience
Daintree Rainforest, located in Australia’s Cairns Region, is the most ancient rainforest in the world and home to some of the oldest surviving primitive flowering plants.
Address: 2094 Cape Tribulation Rd, Diwan QLD 4873, Australia
72. Chance your luck on the Las Vegas Strip – for the risk-takers
If you’re feeling lucky, the Las Vegas Strip is the place for you. This iconic stretch of land has been celebrated as the long-standing go-to place for those looking to win big!
71. See Big Ben in London – the English icon
When your bucket list needs a few added places of interest, remember to throw in Big Ben, the ultimate English icon, located in London city.
Address: Westminster, London SW1A 0AA
70. Swim with dolphins – for an under the sea adventure
This enchanting experience is offered around the globe, but if you do care to make a splash with these intelligent mammals, we suggest you do so at Atlantis in the Bahamas.
69. See some trad music in Ireland – for a cultural experience
If you’re craving a culture fix like no other, make sure to see some trad Irish music on the Emerald Isle.
68. Catch a show on Broadway in New York – for show tunes
Broadway in New York City is home to 41 theatres and some of the finest productions in the world. If you’re a fan of show tunes, this one is for you!
67. Visit Pompeii – the lost city
This ancient city was lost after a fatal eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Today, the perfectly-preserved city, its towns, homes and residents can freely be toured, by guide or self.
66. See the Statue of Liberty – the symbol of freedom
The Statue of Liberty is one of the most iconic monuments in modern history and is easily accessible from the island of Manhattan in New York.
Address: New York, NY 10004, United States
65. See migrating whales – for the wonders of the natural world
Vancouver Island in Canada is our suggested top spot for whale watching in the world. Its waters are home to some 20,000 whales in spring including orca, grey and humpback whales.
64. The beautiful lakes of Alberta – some of the most beautiful in the world
Alberta is a province in Western Canada. Its landscape encompasses mountains, prairies, desert badlands and vast coniferous forests. It has more than 600 lakes, hot springs, and rich mineral deposits. it is one of the most beautful places in the world to visit if you like lakes with a mountain backdrop.
Address: Bennelong Point, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
63. Explore the remains of the Berlin Wall – for remembering the past
The Berlin Wall once divided the city. Today, much of what is left of the wall is used as a canvas for artists.
Address: Bernauer Str. 111, 13355 Berlin, Germany
62. Visit Versailles – the French palace
Versailles was the French royal residence from 1682 until the French Revolution in 1789. Today, it is open to visitors and gives an impressive insight into the grandeur of aristocracy and its former residents.
Address: Place d’Armes, 78000 Versailles, France
61. Drink a Guinness in Dublin – for the love of Guinness
Guinness is a beverage loved world-over, but if you’re looking for some fresh bucket list ideas, we suggest adding this. Drinking a Guinness in Dublin raises the activity to an art form.
60. Go white water rafting – for those who like to live on the edge
This hair-raising activity is bucket list-worthy, no doubt. If this sounds like your type of sport, check out the Futaleufu River in Chile.
59. Visit Easter Island – for the strange and wonderful
This volcanic island in Polynesia is remembered for its ancient monuments in the shape of oversized heads. Certainly, an adventure to remember!
58. Take the Inca trail – for hiking enthusiasts
No bucket list would be complete without adding the Inca Trail. This Peruvian hiking trail ends at Macchu Picchu – a later addition to our bucket list ideas.
57. See the Colosseum – the iconic amphitheatre
This iconic Roman amphitheatre was, at the time of building, the largest in the world. Today, it is a top traveller destination.
Address: Piazza del Colosseo, 1, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
56. See Roman ruins – for history buffs
Indeed, there are tonnes to choose from. We, however, suggest the ancient ruin of Pantheon, and the lost town of Herculaneum.
55. Visit Killarney National Park – for Ireland’s rugged beauty
One of the best bucket list ideas going has got to be a visit to Killarney National Park. This is, without a doubt, one of the best displays of Ireland’s rugged beauty.
Address: Co. Kerry, Ireland
54. Do the tango in Argentina – for those who love to dance
For those who love to dance, this is a must-add to your bucket list.
53. Shower in a waterfall – for an epic splash
If this sounds like your type of adventure, we suggest Havasu Falls in Arizona, USA.
52. Inter-rail around Europe – for those who want it all
Some 33 countries are accessible in Europe by train, making this the ultimate experience for those who want it all!
51. Take part in Holi colour festival – for a splash of colour
This Indian festival takes place every year and celebrates the arrival of spring, good harvest and fertility.
50. Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge – for bird’s eye views
If you’re a fan of heights, this one is for you. This excursion is one you’ll never forget!
Address: Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney NSW, Australia
49. Explore Angkor Wat – for ancient cities
Located in Cambodia, this temple complex is one to make you weak at the knees. We suggest you go at sunrise or sunset to be truly blown away.
Address: Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia
48. Visit Hagia Sophia – for impressive architecture
Built in 537AD, this impressive building was once a cathedral, later a mosque and today a museum.
Address: Sultan Ahmet, Ayasofya Meydanı No:1, 34122 Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey
47. Visit Indonesia’s Rice Terraces – for lush greenery
Stroll the rice terraces and enjoy the lush green surroundings with this top Indonesian bucket list-worthy activity.
46. See the Summer Palace in China – for ancient China
Once the royal garden in the Qing dynasty, the Summer Palace is today a top visitor attraction and is one not to be missed.
Address: 19 Xinjiangongmen Rd, Haidian District, China, 100091
45. Climb the Kilimanjaro – for a serious climb
As the highest mountain in Africa, this is a serious climb for serious adventurers. And, it seriously deserves the title of bucket list-worthy.
44. Admire Mount Rushmore – for the former US presidents
Located in South Dakota, this stone monument portrays the faces of four of the most iconic US presidents.
Address: 13000 SD-244, Keystone, SD 57751, United States
43. Search for Nessie in the Loch Ness – for the dreamers
If you are feeling whimsical, venture to Loch Ness in search of Nessie, the large marine creature that is popular throughout Scottish folklore.
Address: Loch Ness, Inverness, Scotland
42. See the Cinque Terre – for postcard views
Located along the Italian Riviera in Liguria is this ultimate picture postcard setting. Prepare to be in awe!
41. See the Antelope Canyon – the see it to believe it attraction
Antelope Canyon is an experience that will forever be burned in your memory. You can take our word for it!
Address: Arizona, US
40. Climb the Mount Fuji – the ultimate pilgrimage
Mount Fuji has been a major pilgrimage site for centuries, and it is Japan’s tallest peak.
Address: Kitayama, Japan
39. Dive with sharks – for a big-animal encounter
If this is up your alley, we suggest Gansbaai in South Africa – also known as the home of the great-white cage diving.
38. Visit the Forbidden City in China – for ancient palaces
This palace complex in Beijing in China is nothing less than mind-blowing and will surely be one of those memories not soon forgotten.
37. See Niagara Falls – the most famous waterfall
Located in Ontario, Canada, this famous waterfall is as impressive as they come.
Address: Grand Island, ON, Canada
36. Bath in the Dead Sea – for healing
This ancient ritual is as epic as they come. It is Earth’s lowest body of water on the surface, and it is said to have tremendous healing qualities.
Address: Jordan Rift Valley
35. Visit Carnival of Brazil – for festivity
If you’re looking for the ultimate festival experience, Carnival of Brazil, which marks the beginning of Lent each year, is just the answer.
34. See the Chichen Itza – for Mayan cities
Located in Mexico, Chichen Itza is the must-visit for those interested in ancient Mayan ruins.
Chichen Itza is one of the Seven Wonders of the New World and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
There are about ten structures here, which will give you incredible insights into the ancient Mayan peoples and their fascinating culture. Marvel at El Castillo (The Castle), the Group of A Thousand Column, the Platform of Skulls and more.
Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins is located about three hours from Cancun by bus, but only about 1.5 hours from colorful colonial city of Merida — known as the safest city in Mexico and Yucatan Cultural Capital.
In fact, a Chichen Itza day trip is one of the best things to do in Merida!
Address: Yucatan, Mexico
33. Visit Mardi Gras in New Orleans – for the ultimate parade
If frivolity is your type of thing, look no further than Mardi Gras in New Orleans, which takes place annually.
32. Skydive over the Great Barrier Reef – for the best view there is
Skydiving – regardless of location – is a chart-topping experience. Over the Great Barrier Reef in Australia? You couldn’t ask for more.
Address: Queensland, Australia
31. Bungee Jump – for adrenaline junkies
There are so many places across the globe to try this thrilling sport, but we suggest Volcano Bungee in Chile or the Navajo Bridge in the US.
30. Go on safari – for animal-lovers
No bucket list would be complete without adding a safari! If danger and nature are both of interest, we suggest Kenya or Zambia.
29. Iguazu Falls – for its sheer magnitude
If you’re looking to be blown away, Iguazu Falls are the place for you. Combined, this impressive waterfall range is the largest in the world.
Address: Misiones Province, Argentina
28. Trek Patagonia – for vibrant wilderness
This country offers some epic landscapes and opportunities for adventure. A must-visit for those who love the great outdoors!
27. See Victoria Falls – the largest curtain of water
Unlike the previously mentioned Iguazu Falls (which consists of numerous combined waterfalls), Victoria Falls in Zambia is the largest curtain of water on the globe.
Address: Mosi-o-tunya Road, Livingstone, Zambia
26. Explore the Himalayas – for the experienced adventurer
The Himalayas are long told to be one of the most challenging ranges in the world. And, it is home to some of the world’s highest peaks, including Mount Everest.
25. Ride through the Sahara Desert – for camel-riding
If you’ve been meaning to add camel-riding to your bucket list, now’s the time! We suggest you enjoy this ancient mode of transport while travelling the Sahara Desert.
24. Explore Jordan’s Petra – for wonder and awe
No bucket list would be complete without including Jordan’s Petra. Prepare to be amazed!
23. Sleep in an Igloo – for an Eskimo adventure
If the Eskimos did it, then so can you! And we promise this won’t be a memory soon forgotten. We suggest the Grandvalira Iglu Hotel in Andorra.
22. See the Acropolis of Athens – for a citadel experience
This ancient citadel is home to some breathtaking displays of ancient ruins, such as the Parthenon, as mentioned above. Top tip: Athens can be unbearably hot and busy in the summer months which makes it a top winter destination in Europe.
Address: Athens 105 58, Greece
21. Visit the Cliffs of Moher – for stunning ancient cliffs
If you’re looking for an impressive backdrop, we suggest the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland which span 14 kilometres along the southwest coast.
Address: Lislorkan North, Co. Clare, Ireland
20. Swim in a hot spring – for the wonders of nature
The Terme di Saturnia in Tuscany, Italy, gets our vote, and its waters are said to have fantastic healing qualities.
19. Hike in Nepal – for pathfinders
Nepal is an ancient and mystic land and is home to some of the best hikes for pathfinders to discover. Phulchowki and Kathmandu Valley Trek are two top adventures worth adding to your bucket list.
18. Meditate in a temple – for the mindful
If meditation and mindfulness is your thing, this may be one for you. There are endless temples strewn around South East Asia, making it the perfect staging ground for a spiritual awakening.
17. Visit the Red Square in Moscow – for mind-blowing cathedrals
Are you looking to be utterly blown away? Check out the Red Square in Moscow, particularly the Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed.
Address: Red Square, Moscow, Russia, 109012
16. Take a flying lesson over the Grand Canyon – for a flight to remember
Both a flying lesson and a tour of the Grand Canyon are epic in their own right. Pair them together, and you have pure magic.
Address: Arizona, United States
15. Trek the Camino de Santiago – the ultimate pilgrimage
These ancient pilgrim routes across Europe are some of the most iconic and each year, throngs of people take to their trodden paths. A bucket list entry, no doubt.
14. Kiss the Blarney Stone – for the gift of the gab
This ancient Irish tradition including kissing an ancient stone which is told to give you eloquence, or as the Irish would call it the “gift of the gab”.
Address: Monacnapa, Blarney, Co. Cork, Ireland
13. Walk the Great Wall of China – the marathon walk
This wall stretches over 6,400 kilometres (4,000 miles), although visitors can take on specific sections, which offer more manageable trails.
Address: Huairou District, China
12. Scuba dive off the Great Barrier Reef – for a kaleidoscope of colours
If you’re looking for a visual feast, we suggest scuba-diving off the Great Barrier Reef. Needless to say, this will be one experience you will never forget.
11. Travel in a hot air balloon – for a view from above
To travel in a hot air balloon is a fantastic feat. But, if you want to take things up a notch, we suggest you do so over Bagan’s Temples in Myanmar.
10. See the pyramids – for utter amazement
To see the Egyptian pyramids is a thing of utter amazement. These structures are not only impressive but a source of continued mystery for modern archaeologists.
9. Explore on an Alaskan Cruise – for an ice world experience
If you’re looking for a truly unusual adventure, take on Alaskan on a cruise! This is bound to offer you some of the most stunning sights you’re likely to have ever experienced.
8. Discover the Taj Mahal – the jewel of Muslim art and architecture
No list of bucket list ideas would be complete without the Taj Mahal in India. Not only is this postcard-material like no other, but it is the jewel of Muslim art and architecture in India.
7. Hike to Christ the Redeemer – for an epic hike overlooking an epic city
A hike to Christ the Redeemer, overlooking Rio de Janeiro in Brazil is certain to be one of the most memorable experiences in this epic list of bucket list ideas.
Address: Parque Nacional da Tijuca – Alto da Boa Vista, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, Brazi
6. Discover the Giant’s Causeway – for ancient wonder
This Irish ancient UNESCO World Heritage Site is approximately 60 million years old and consists of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns which stretch from land into the sea.
Address: Bushmills BT57 8SU
5. Kayak Vietnam’s Ha Long Bay – for utter serenity
If in search of utter serenity, take a kayak tour on Vietnam’s Ha Long Bay. Whatever you do, don’t forget your camera.
Address: Quang Ninh, Vietnam
4. Relax at Blue Lagoon in Iceland – for the ultimate spa day
This mystical lagoon in Iceland is said to boast unrivalled geothermal power, and its stunning surrounds are bound to make you weak at the knees.
Address: Nordurljosavegur 9, 240 Grindavík, Iceland
3. See the northern lights – the dance of the sky
Theaurora, also known as the northern lights, can be seen in many places in high-latitude regions. We suggest Alaska, Canada, Iceland due to their proximity to the Arctic Circle.
2. Hike an active volcano – for those who like an added dash of danger
If the average hike is too vanilla for you, how about hiking an active volcano? We vote Vesuvius in Italy. It last erupted in 1944, and it will erupt again, although daredevils trek it daily.
1. Trek to Machu Picchu – perhaps the best of our bucket list ideas
It is always hard to choose just one. But, we think a trip to Machu Picchu may just be the best of our bucket list ideas. This Incan citadel is set in the Peruvian mountains making it an epic trek only to be met by epic ancient ruins.
Address: 08680, Peru