Churches are historically known for being beautiful pieces of architecture and design. Let’s take a look at some of the most beautiful churches in the world.
Churches are often some of the main things people visit or admire when they go to a foreign country. Churches, temples, and basilicas around the world are usually so ornate and beautiful because people poured money into them to show love for their God.
There are so many stunning churches throughout the globe. So, it is going to be an extremely difficult task to dwindle down the world’s most beautiful to just ten. Let’s take a look at some of the most beautiful churches in the world.
WBL’s interesting facts about the most beautiful churches in the world
- Did you know the Notre-Dame Basilica features a stunning “Rose Window” with over 10,000 pieces of coloured glass among its intricate stained glass windows?
- Las Lajas Sanctuary was built on a rock canyon after an alleged apparition of the Virgin Mary witnessed by a mother and daughter during a storm.
- The construction of La Sagrada Familia began in 1882 and is still ongoing, making it one of the longest-running construction projects in history.
- The Assumption of Maria Church, Slovenia, features a unique tradition where grooms demonstrate their strength and devotion by carrying their brides up the 99 steps leading to the church’s entrance.
- Despite its remote location and stunning backdrop, the Gergeti Trinity Church was used as a filming location for the 2016 movie “Alien: Covenant.”
10. Gergeti Trinity Church, Georgia – breathtaking backdrop
Despite being quite small in stature, Gergeti Trinity Church is one of the most magnificent churches in the world.
This iconic church sits atop a hill with Mount Kazbek right behind it. To experience this Christian church in real life would be something very special.
Address: MJ6C+V4J, Kazbegi, Oni, Georgia
9. La Sagrada Familia, Spain – one of Spain’s most iconic landmarks
Famously known for never being finished, the towering vaults and iconic stature of this popular landmark make this a must on your church bucket list. Upon completion, this architectural masterpiece will be the tallest church in the world.
Address: C/ de Mallorca, 401, 08013 Barcelona, Spain
Related: Top 10 famous landmarks in Europe.
8. Notre-Dame Basilica, Canada – in Montreal’s historic old town
Visited by nearly one million people per year, Notre-Dame Basilica is a 19th century church in Montreal’s historic old town.
Considered a jewel of Quebec’s religious heritage, it is an absolutely stunning display of Gothic Revival architecture.
Address: 110 Notre-Dame St W, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1T1, Canada
7. St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Bulgaria – one of the world’s most beautiful cathedrals
St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is a Bulgarian Orthodox cathedral in the country’s capital city of Sofia.
Built in Neo-Byzantine style, it currently serves as the Patriarchal Cathedral of Bulgaria. The byzantine architecture emanates from this famous cathedral.
Address: pl. “Sveti Aleksandar Nevski”, 1000 Sofia Center, Sofia, Bulgaria
6. Duomo Milano, Italy – a Gothic masterpiece and the third largest Catholic church in the world
Duomo Milano is an incredible white Gothic cathedral in Milan, Italy. If you check out this famous church, notice the many gargoyles that line the roof.
This cathedral is home to more statues than any other in the world. It is also the largest church in the country, constructed when Gothic architecture was in its prime.
Address: P.za del Duomo, 20122 Milano MI, Italy
Related: 10 most beautiful churches in Italy.
5. Assumption of Maria Church, Slovenia – perfectly picturesque
Located in Lake Bled, this incredibly stunning church is one of Slovenia’s most popular attractions.
Sitting on a hill amongst emerald waters and sitting pretty in front of the Julien Alps, this is certainly one of the most beautiful churches in the world.
Address: 4260 Bled, Slovenia
4. Chapel of the Holy Cross, United States – unique in appearance
Chapel of the Holy Cross in the state of Arizona is one of the most unique churches in the world. This Roman Catholic church was built into the red rock buttes of Sedona in the mid-20th century.
It sits within the Coconino National Forest and offers stunning views of the Arizona landscape.
Address: 780 Chapel Rd, Sedona, AZ 86336, United States
3. Las Lajas Sanctuary, Colombia – a most unusual church
Las Lajas Sanctuary in southern Colombia has to be one of the most unusual churches in the world. It sits in a very precarious location, 150 ft (46 m) over a river gorge.
The site once served as a shrine in the 18th century. This came after a reported sighting of an image of the Virgin Mary in the rocks.
Address: Colombia, Nariño, Ipiales, Las Lajas, Santuario De Las Lajas, Potosí
Read also: Top 10 best things to do in Colombia.
2. Church of St. George, Ethiopia – one of the most beautiful churches in the world
Located in the Amhara region of Ethiopia, the Church of St. George is one of eleven rock-hewn monolithic churches in the country.
This church dates all the way back to the 12th century and is truly a sight to behold. Complete with catacombs and ceremonial passages, this is certainly one of the most beautiful churches in the world.
Address: 22JR+MCQ, Lalibela, Ethiopia
1. Monasteries of Meteora, Greece – a truly spectacular church
Number one on our list of the most beautiful churches in the world is the Monasteries of Meteora in Greece.
The insane and almost inaccessible location alone makes these buildings some of the most interesting churches in the world to experience. Those brave enough to go here can do so via a 140-step staircase cut right into the side of a cliff.
Address: Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
Borgund Stave Church: A very unique-looking church in Norway.
Florence Cathedral: Florence Cathedral was in production from the 13th century to the 15th century and was designed by famous Italian architect Arnolfo di Cambio.
Metropolitan Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro: The Metropolitan Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro is a pyramid-like cathedral considered one of the more modern churches of today, entailing modern architecture.
Palermo Cathedral: Palermo Cathedral is located in Sicily and displays many different styles of architecture.
Cathedral of Brasília: Cathedral of Brasília, located in Brazil, is one of the most unique cathedrals in the world.
Burgos Cathedral: Burgos Cathedral is a beautiful 13th-century Spanish Catholic cathedral dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
Your questions answered about the most beautiful churches in the world
What country has the most beautiful church?
It was hard to narrow down, but we think Greece has the most beautiful churches in the world with the Monasteries of Meteora.
What is the most popular religion in the world?
Christianity makes up the biggest percentage of religious following in the world at 31.11%.
What is the oldest church in the world?
The oldest house of worship in the world is believed to be theDura-Europos synagogue. While uncovered in Syria in 1932, it is believed to have opened as far back as 245 AD.